Thursday, January 21, 2016

Lent is a Time for Healthy Humility


The Lenten Season is a time for renewing our willing spirits and restoring our joy in our salvation through the love of God. I LOVE Lenten season worship services when we are inspired to evaluate our “dark forces” and the burdens we carry. And then to lift them up to the light of God for healing and wholeness. To be aware of our sinfulness and the burdens we carry, to be aware of God’s forgiveness, to be contrite in heart and mind, are all good and healthy attitudes for the soul!  
When we are introspective and humble we are better able to be compassionate and show empathy for others. C.S. Lewis said, "Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less."


Leadership research shows that those who admit and discuss their mistakes and failures with others learn from them and are more likely to succeed in the future.  When we humble ourselves and share our humility in our interactions with others, we receive many blessings.
Psalm 51 is a wonderful Psalm for reading and contemplating this Lenten Season. It begins with: “Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions.” And closes with: “Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write a comment and then select an account option from the pulldown. If you don't have an account, select anonymous. Your post will appear within 2 business days.